Wedding Planning Guide
(Photo courtesy of Eric Vest Photography)
1. Make your decisions early. Once you know the date you would like for your wedding, contact the church. You must meet with a pastor before a date can be confirmed. The earlier you decide the better. Sometimes it is possible to schedule more than one wedding on a given day, but the time available may not meet your expectation or needs.
2. You will want to meet with the pastor of Northeast UMC for preliminary discussions about the wedding. Both people getting married should attend that meeting. Topics will include scheduling issues, the service, and your questions.
In addition, future meeting dates will be scheduled.
The Wedding Service
1. Marriage is a sacred and holy event. The Service of Marriage is actually a worship service, offered by NEUMC, as part of its ministry.
2. Weddings are very personal. They are also matters of deep importance to the Christian community, the Church.
a. You are encouraged to discuss your ideas concerning the service with the pastor. Together you will decide on any changes or additions to the order of service.
b. The involvement of other persons in the service, lay or clergy, will only be with the consent of the pastor. In the case of clergy, the pastor of NE UMC will invite others to participate.
3. Recording -audio, video or photos - is permitted only when it does not detract from the religious emphasis of the service. Video cameras must be stationary during the service and located at the pastor’s discretion.
4. The wedding service is an “open” service, however, most people will be there at your invitation. Sanctuary seating is limited to about 275 persons. Overflow seating can accommodate an additional 50 - 75 persons.
In planning your wedding, please keep costs in mind. The church does not view weddings as a way to raise funds. In reality, the church portions of a wedding’s expenses are minimal. However, we do expect our costs will be covered, the charges are as follows:
1. Any use of the church building requires a $200.00 deposit.
2. There is a $40 fee for the custodian. This fee is in addition to the prices stated.
3. The use of the Sanctuary by a non-member is $600.00.
4.You are encouraged to pay the pastor an honorarium.
5. All building use is at the discretion of the Board of Trustees and changes must be approved by them. Payment to NEUMC for facility use should include custodian fee; no fee is to be paid directly to the custodian.
6. One half of the use fee is to be paid when the reservation is made to secure the date desired.
The State of Minnesota requires that you have a Minnesota wedding license in order to be married. This is done at the Office of the County Clerk in the county in which one of the parties resides. The license should be brought to the rehearsal.
1. The church building is not air-conditioned.
2. Flowers: You may plan to have fresh flowers for your wedding. The church does not have facilities to keep flowers overnight. Please arrange for the florist to deliver them during hours when the church building is open. On Saturdays, this is approximately an hour and a half prior to the service. Church office hours during the week are Monday - Thursday 10:00am - 2:00pm.
3. Social Hall: If you plan to use the Social Hall, please indicate that when you plan your wedding. There are additional costs for use of the Hall and a member of the church must be present if it is used. If the United Methodist Women’s group is asked to serve the reception, separate arrangements must be made with them.
Contact church office: 612-789-7462
4. Do not throw rice or confetti indoors or outdoors. No glitter anywhere. Please use birdseed or bubbles outdoors only after the wedding service.
5. Aisle runner. The church does not have an aisle runner. If you wish to use one, they can be obtained through your florist. The runner should be 50 feet long.
6. Questions? If you have questions or would like further information, please contact the church office at (612) 789-7462 between 10:00am - and 2:00pm Monday - Thursday.
7. No food or beverage is allowed in the sanctuary.
8. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed in the church prior to or during the rehearsal; prior to or during the wedding, or on church property. Please insist that no one in the wedding party is intoxicated at the rehearsal or wedding. If they are, they will be removed from the property and not permitted to participate in the service.
9. Pianist & vocalist available upon request.
10. Need a good caterer? Bravo Catering, Justin Gater, Cell: 612-388-8122 or Justin.A.Gater@gmail.com
Premarital counseling by the pastor is not required for couples but is strongly recommended either with a pastor or other licensed professional. Also, there is a significant discount on marriage licenses for couples that go through premarital counseling.
Apply for the marriage license at the office of the Clerk of District Court in the
There is a five-day waiting period. The license is to be delivered to the minister by the bride or groom no later than the time of the rehearsal.
Please designate a person to walk through the church after the service, checking all areas you have used to pick up personal belongings left by the bridal party and guests. Articles left in the church for more than 30 days become the property of
Please keep in mind while making wedding plans that NE UMC does not have a parking lot.
Building Use Application
*A $200.00 deposit is due when reservation is made.
When scheduling room use for NE UMC, please notify the church office at least three months in advance. (612) 789-7462
Name of Organization:___________________________
Emergency contact name:________________________
Area Use (check all that apply)
Church Dining Room ____
Fireside room ____
NEUMC Coffee Shop ____
Event name ______________________________________________________
Rehearsal Date ____Time starting ___Time ending____
Event Date ____Time starting ____Time ending ______
Amount due $____________
*We ask that the wedding party arrive at the church no sooner than three hours before the wedding.
*Any amounts due for room use must be paid prior to the date of the event. **All events must be finished by 12:00 midnight.
*If need be a longer time may be negotiated.